Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dia Final

This is it. My last evening in South America. I get on my plane in near seven hours. I'm nervous. If something goes wrong I can't call easily to have it fixed. Thankfully I have two weeks before I'm supposed to be back at school in Arcata, so I have a little leeway. Usually I'm way more comfortable flying, but everything about this trip seems different. But hey, I'll be way improved *once* I make it through this.


My last week of classes went well. My finals were scary, but my final grades are good. I said goodbye to the kids I worked with at the Museum on Tuesday. This was a sad goodbye, but I have plenty of photos and some great memories, and the kids do too. Along with their piles of English worksheets they'd done. 


The last day of classes was pretty much a party. My grammar teacher, Tatiana, had us all in group one wearing blue. We reckon she wanted us to come off really good in the open house cause we were group one out of three. It was pretty disorganized, but everyone got their information across to those interested. I talked about how I liked Ecuador so much because it is a small country, but there is so much biodiversity in both people and their cultures as well as the plants and animals they share space with. I connected it to my experience here, how I had so many different families, at UTE, my pasantia, with the Robles, and the HSU students. All were connected though, like this country itself. Then I would answer any questions I was asked. Later there was a big potluck, they gave us all certificates from the school, and I had to say goodbye to all my teachers.


Yesterday this was, and after the open house I ate lunch with my family before heading to Alameda park to visit the museum of astrology. That was fascinating. My guide, who insisted on giving me a tour, was skeptical about my request for a Spanish spiel, but I kept up with him well and asked questions. The museum had been redone a while back, and there were many before and after (antes/ahora) pictures with significant diferences. The observatory was built in the late 1800s, and much of the old equipment was there on display. Some of the telescopes they still use today. 


Later I went out to celebrate with some of my group members. I knew they would want to stay out pretty late, but I was too tired to stay long. Calle La Ronda though (in Centro Historico) was interesting. Many restaurants had live music. I said goodbye to many of my friends. Some have graduated already, and I probably won't be seeing them for a long time. Others I have plans with upon my return to Humboldt County. All the goodbyes, however, were bittersweet. 


Today I went with my host mom to Parque Carolina. I thought I would sleep in, but I was awake before eight. I had a delicious breakfast of bread and fruit, then we headed over to the park. We walked through the botannical gardens. The plants were all gorgeous. I'm not sure if my favorite part were the roses, the carnivorous plants, or reading all the signs. Heck, they were all amazing. Next I went to the reptile house while Sole passed, she isn't a fan of snakes. I was disappointed as I didn't get to see many frogs, but it was a nice building and all the animals were cool to see. 


For lunch I got to go to one of my favorite restaurants. I usually don't like watching TV while I eat, but the Olympics were on and I couldn't resist. 


I've spent my whole day with my family. My suitcase is all packed. I feel ready to leave, yes, but I will really, really miss my family here. I've grown accustomed to the way things are done here. Their septic system is different, so all paper goes in the trash. A greeting is given, also accepted, with a kiss. These are now habits of mine. I think it may take me a while, especially in reference to saying hello or goodbye, to reacclimate into the American way. So, if I do something awkward in when I'm seen, just bear with me. 


My camera, also my facebook account, is filled with pictures. My suitcase is stuffed with Ecuadorian things. My brain is fuller (than it was before, anyway) with Spanish language, and my heart is full of memories. Ultimately this was a fantastic experience. I am so lucky, so grateful, so proud, so, well, unable to adequately describe what I'm feeling. I probably won't register I've left until my plane lands in Anchorage. 


It's time to go do more to prepare for my flight. I have liked writing a blog, I'll keep doing it, though it will be about the states. Okay, plane time. Suerte o muerte! 


Juls

No comments:

Post a Comment